Food glorious food: There’s nothing quite like it (especially if you don’t have to cook it yourself)
Eating well is important for health and wellbeing at any age but it can become more of a challenge as we get older. If you’re living alone, cooking a meal from scratch can seem rather a lot of work just to feed one person, while mobility and health issues can make shopping and cooking more difficult.
Imagine, then, living in a place where not only is it easy to find company and support when you needed it, but you can have a hot, freshly cooked, delicious lunch every day without lifting a finger! That’s precisely what homeowners at Lynwood Village enjoy and the food offering at the village is consistently rated as one of the top benefits of village life.
As well as a restaurant and coffee shop, which offers a home-delivery service, Lynwood Village has a bar, shop and regular minibus shuttles to local supermarkets and shops, making it easy to eat well while enjoying being part of a thriving, welcoming community. Themed evenings in the restaurant are a popular feature of village life. We celebrate Burn’s Night, Chinese New Year, St Patrick’s and St George’s Days as well as holding summer barbecues, Italian, French and more exotic national cuisine nights when owners gather in the restaurant to enjoy good company and excellent food.
Prescott’s Restaurant, Coffee Shop and Bar
One of the main benefits of Lynwood Village life is that Prescott’s Coffee Shop, Restaurant and Bar are a short stroll (or roll, everywhere in the village is wheelchair and mobility scooter-friendly) from your home. The coffee shop is the perfect place to meet friends for morning coffee, perhaps after an exercise class or swim. It’s also somewhere you can sit alone and read the paper if you fancy a change of scene. The staff get to know every owner, so you’ll soon feel like a regular and there are always people around to talk to and ask how your day is going. Takeaways are also an option if you’re in the mood for a posh coffee and freshly baked pastry but would prefer enjoy it at home. The walkways connecting the three apartment buildings are under cover, so even if the weather is awful you can visit Prescott’s without getting wet!
Ladies (and gentlemen) who lunch
At lunchtime, the superb Prescott’s team swings into action providing three options for a delicious and competitively priced hot lunch. You can sit in the coffee shop or restaurant and staff will bring your food to your table, or you can phone down in the morning and have it delivered to your home. Menus for the week are posted through your door so you know in advance what will be on offer.
The chef team listens closely to feedback from owners, continually refining the menu choices to ensure there is something for everyone. Dishes that aren’t popular do not make a second appearance!
Recent lunch menus have included:
- Honey & Wholegrain Mustard Glazed Bacon Loin with Thyme & Garlic Fondant Potato, Roasted Chantenay Carrots, Buttered Swede & Gravy (£9.60)
- Turkey, Leek & Mushroom Pie served with Mashed Potato, Roasted Chantenay Carrots, Buttered Swede & Gravy (£8.60)
- Broccoli & Blue Cheese Quiche served with Waldorf Salad (V) (£6.60)
- Chocolate Mousse (£3.60)
- Panko Crusted Oven Baked Rolled Hake Fillet served with Mussels Provencal Sauce, Crushed New Potatoes & Julienne Courgettes (£11.60)
- Cumberland Sausage Ring served with Parsley Mashed Potato, Broccoli, Buttered Carrots & Onion Gravy (£8.60)
- Butternut Squash & Sage Risotto served with Garlic Bread (V) (£6.60)
- Poached Pear Vacherin (£3.60)
Followed by Fish and Chip Friday. On Saturday of that week the menu was:
- Pan Fried Calves Liver served with Lyonnaise Onions, Crispy Bacon, Spring Greens & Wholegrain Mustard Mashed Potato (£11.60)
- Lamb Moussaka served with Rocket & Spinach Salad & Olive Focaccia Bread (£9.60)
- Sweet Potato & Onion Pie with Mashed Potato, Spring Greens & Gravy (V) (£6.60)
- Rice Pudding topped with Cinnamon Apple (£3.60)
And on Sunday there is a full roast dinner:
- Roast Beef with Horseradish Sauce (£12)
- Roast Turkey with Cranberry Sauce (£12)
- Roast Pork with Bramley Apple Sauce (£12)
- All Served with Roast Potatoes, Glazed Carrots & Parsnips, Cauliflower Cheese, Fine Beans, Yorkshire Pudding, Sage & Onion Stuffing & Gravy
- Spinach, Mushroom & Pine Nut En Croute (V) (£8.60)
- Fresh Fruit Pavlova (£3.60)
In addition to the hot lunch, soup, sandwiches, toasties, paninis and salads are available every day for a lighter option.
Easy access to keenly priced hot food every day means that if you don’t feel like cooking, you don’t have to. This is especially useful if you’ve been unwell or had an operation and cooking is too much for you. No need to order takeaways or have family and friends rush around bringing you food; it’s all on-site and there are people around to help ensure you’re eating well.
Another bonus is that, if you enjoy your main meal at lunchtime, you can have a light supper, which leaves more time for enjoying yourself and engaging in all that village life has to offer!
Available 24-hours a day and located in reception, Lynwood’s village shop stocks fresh essentials including milk, fruit and vegetables, eggs and bread as well as store-cupboard items like tea, coffee, sugar and biscuits plus greetings cards and basic household items such as washing up liquid and bin bags. Our reception desk is staffed 24-hours a day, seven days a week either by the reception team or night security staff who will open the shop at any time for owners, so if you run out of milk at 10pm on a Sunday night, there’s no need to worry – just pop downstairs to reception and someone will be there to help!
Local supermarkets and shops
Excellent though the food at the village is, most people still need do a weekly grocery shop and that’s where our private minibus comes in. We run regular shuttle services to local supermarkets, so you don’t need to worry about parking (if you have a car – many Lynwood owners don’t) and you’ll have company en route.
If you’re a keen cook, your new home at Lynwood Village has a fully fitted kitchen with integrated appliances including an eye-level oven, so you can whip up a feast if you choose. But on those days where you just don’t feel like cooking, it’s great to know that you can pop down for coffee, cake and a chat, or have your lunch delivered and you’ll be able to eat well no matter what.
Visitors are welcome at Prescott’s, so if you fancy joining us for lunch or a coffee, we’d be delighted to see you!